We are looking for a PhD candidate (or junior postdoc) combining data science/AI, wearable EEG technology, and big sleep data. Specifically, the PhD project will focus on (i) developing a database for large datasets of neurophysiological sleep recordings together with multimodal analysis strategies/pipelines, and (ii) integration/fusion of neurophysiological data from different sensors with non-physiological data and annotations.
Most sleep research works with very small datasets of laboratory-based polysomnography. In this project, we will leverage recent developments in wearable sleep technology to collect, curate and analyze large, multimodal datasets of electrophysiological sleep recordings. Embedded in and funded by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action (MSCA) – Doctoral Network Lullabyte within the Horizon Europe Programme of the European Commission, the successful candidate will collaborate within a group of 10 PhD students, 10+ senior scientists, and several industrial partners across Europe to work on the intersection of sleep neuroscience, data science, and musicology.
The position will be hosted at the Donders Sleep & Memory Lab, Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen (The Netherlands), and includes secondments with Dirk Pflüger (University of Stuttgart, Germany) on machine learning and big data strategies and Thomas Andrillon (Paris Brain Institute, France) on neurophysiological analyses of sleep.
The successful candidate will lead different research projects within this general framework under supervision of neuroscientists and computer scientists; will locally and internationally cooperate with a highly interdisciplinary set of collaborators; and will participate in the vibrant Donders Graduate School.
• 3 years 1 FTE position at the Donders Institute / Radboud University Medical Center
• Starting date: flexible between April-September 2023
• Application deadline: 28 February 2023
• MSc-level background in Computer Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Data Science, ML, AI or adjacent fields
• Strong background in Machine Learning, Programming, Signal Processing, Statistics
• Proficiency in Python, SQL, web development/backend/applications or similar
• Strong interest in sleep/dream research and music
• Capacity and willingness to participate in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, international research environment
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the last 36 months before the date of recruitment.
• Applicants must not have finished a PhD degree before the date of recruitment.
Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless strongly encouraged to apply!
The project is embedded in the infrastructure of the Donders Institute, providing a unique and stimulating learning environment for young researchers, including a high-profile graduate school and in-house methodological expert courses. Sleep research is a vibrant and rapidly growing field at the Donders Institute, with several research groups in human and animal sleep research.
The project is further embedded in the Radboud University Medical Center. Radboudumc strives to be a leading developer of sustainable, innovative and affordable healthcare to improve the health and wellbeing of people and society in the Netherlands and beyond.
Please submit your application here until 28 February 2023 . If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.